Lock solutions in dialysis
Ingredients, efficacy, recommendations
Central-venous catheters (CVC) are commonly used for patients with permanent kidney failure. As they undergo haemodialysis on a regular basis, medical staff must minimise the risk of catheter-related infections as far as possible. This is where TauroLock™ comes into play. Combining taurolidine and citrate with heparin or urokinase, we have developed lock solutions to meet the needs of dialysis patients:
- protection against infections
- prevention of blood clotting
- safe application in various contexts
TauroLock™ lock solutions for haemodialysis
There are two major risks when using vascular access devices (VAD): First, the catheter must not come into contact with bacteria and fungi. Second, it is essential to avoid blood clotting. Our lock solutions prevent the formation of biofilm in CVCs during dialysis treatment to meet both objectives:
kill more than 500 types of germs.
help to maintain an adequate blood flow rate.
This twofold efficacy is possible thanks to a combination of taurolidine (antimicrobial) and citrate (anticoagulant). Depending on the patients’ individual conditions, there are different variants available.
All ingredients named above have been approved and recommended in current guidelines (ERBP, DGfN, UK Ren. Ass., SF2H, and other national guidelines).
Please note that all TauroLock™ products are to be administered by trained staff with medical expertise and experience. On this premise, we advise the following procedure:
1. Before dialysis:
- Remove TauroLock™/ TauroLock™-Hep500/ TauroLock™-U25.000 and residual blood from the catheter.
- Flush all lumens of the access device with 10 ml of saline and a syringe according to the push-pause technique.
- Start dialysis.
2. After dialysis:
- Flush both lumens with 10 ml of saline using the push-pause technique.
- Gently tap the ampoule’s neck to remove the lock solution.
- Tilt the ampoule so that you can see a white dot on top and quickly break off the neck.
- When using TauroLock™-U25.000:
Reconstitute the urokinase that is delivered in a separate vial with TauroLock™ withdrawn from the ampoule. TauroLock™-U25.000 must be used immediately after reconstitution.
- Draw the TauroLock™ solution from the ampoule into a sterile syringe.
3. In-between treatment sessions:
- To ensure the solution’s prophylactic efficacy, slowly instil a volume sufficient to fill the entire lumens of the VAD.
- You can check the correct filling volume of each lumen as indicated on the device or based on the manufacturer’s instructions.